If you haven’t seen Days 1 to 4 of the SEO challenge, you should check that out here before diving into Day 5.
DAY 5 CHALLENGE
The dog ate my homework. So I recorded this yesterday and did up a blog post for it. But I guess it’s still sitting in one of my browser tabs at home unpublished… Sorry folks. But here it is.
Today’s challenge is outlined in this video.
Preliminary Task) So this is the last time I’ll ask you to check your stats. How is your course? Hopefully you’ve seen a few places bump. Post your results in the thread below in order to get in a random draw for a tweet and a post to my site.
Day 5 Task) Engage your students.
Having students who take your course through your active involvement with them has so many benefits, too many:
- higher average minutes watched (good for SEO)
- more reviews (good for SEO)
- higher average review score (good for? SEO)
- more recommendations to their friends
- more links around the web
- more connections with you, that lead to a million other opportunities
- higher likelihood to buy your next course
Presumably you started teaching on Udemy to teach people, right? Yes, it’s nice to make money and it’s a full-time income for many, but if you pay attention to your course, pay attention to your students, continue to care for them, then they will care for you.
What does this mean?
- Educational announcements that lead to great content from others in your industry (not just you)
- Educational announcements that are encouraging
- Adding more lessons occasionally
- Answering questions in the Q&A section
- Encouraging participation (introduce yourself, post your project pictures) in the course itself
- Listening closely to what their real problems are (which can lead you to your next course)
This is a long term play. Don’t expect your course to jump 5 places by tomorrow. But you can’t just create courses and market them. You have to be the best ongoing teacher you can be, inspire students, tell them they can do it, make them watch your videos and learn from you.
“You can have anything in life that you want, if you help enough other people get what they want.” – Zig Ziglar
So go to it. Be a great teacher. Help people get what they want (by learning the subject they paid money to learn) and they’ll help you get what you want.
Thank you for following this challenge, and I am humbled and very appreciative of your response. Love hearing about your success, so please share it with me today, next week or next month as you see your courses grow and become popular!
Keep me posted in the comments below, or inside my SEO for Udemy course, with your progress, thoughts, questions, and comments!
Best of luck to everyone!